About Me

My photo
Naples, Florida, United States
Hi my name is Emileigh and I am married to my wonderful husband Nate. We have two children, Nataleigh (5) and Adam (3). I'm a stay-at-home-mom. I have a degree in applied science with my major focusing on Radiography.

Our Anniversary Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Nataleigh's Ticker

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Adam's Ticker

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Homemade Powdered Laundry Detergent

Last week at MOPS (Mothers of Pre-Schoolers) we learned how to make a bunch of homemade cleaning supplies...I was so excited to do this because I have been researching and interested in doing it for a few months now.  As Nataleigh is getting more mobile (she is now cruising...just learned how to do it a couple days ago!) I thought it would be a good idea to use up our cleaning supplies that have harmful chemicals in it and switch to more natural cleaning agents.  First thing I made so far is homemade powdered laundry detergent.  Let me tell you this...it smells sooo good!  Not only that, but it is so easy to make and very inexpensive!  It will cost about 7 cents a load!  Here is the recipe:

1 bar of shaved soap (Fels Naptha) you can find it at Meijer for around $1 and it is in the soap section in the cleaning aisle
1/2 cup Borax
1/2 cup Arm and Hammer WASHING Soda



If you have a food processor you can shave the bar soap in about 15 seconds!  Add all the ingredients together in a 16 oz container and use 1 Tablespoon per load.  Use extra for super soiled clothes or extra hard water!

Happy cleaning everyone!

Till next time!

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Emileigh this is so weird. Chris and I have been emailing back and forth all morning about, guess what? This very same subject! I have debated doing it for quite some time, and he found an article today and is now pushing for it. I just got on here to see another friend's blog who has posted the recipe before, and BAM! You had posted it too!!! So cool. Now I def. want to to go Meijer with you on Saturday because I have searched for the Fels-Naptha there before and couldn't find it, so maybe you could help me find it!!! So excited!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff...Pat's sister has been doing this...my old roomie used to as well. I came close once but couldn't find the naptha stuff. Let me know how you like it. Dave Ramsey plan baby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, btw...I made a long list last night of all the projects I want to get done. Wish you lived near by to help! I think I'm finally going to do the plate collage for my dining room wall...and we are going to try to refinish an old dresser for the nursery. Maybe I'll post the before and afters on my blog. I just wish I had more time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy your blogs girls! I want to try the detergent too! I bet it will be great for cloth diapers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finally figured out how to do a comment!!!

    ReplyDelete